Rules of the Game
- Prior to starting the game the toss line should be marked – for official ladder golf the toss line is 15 feet (4.6 m) from the ladder. For your home game it can be as close or as far away as you want depending on the skill of the players and difficulty desired.
- For the first round, flip a coin to determine which team goes first. The team with the highest score in each round goes first for the next round.
- Each team gets 3 bolas to throw per round; all 3 bolas must be thrown before the next player takes their turn. The bolas can be thrown in any way that the player chooses, including bouncing off the ground, as long as each bola is thrown individually.
- In order to score, the bola must remain on the rung until the end of the round and all bolas have been thrown. Bolas that are knocked off the ladder do not score.
- Normal scoring is as follows:
- 3 points for the top rung
- 2 points for the middle rung
- 1 point for the bottom rung
- The game is played to 21 points and must be reached with the exact points to give 21. If a team goes over 21, their points for that round do not count. For example if a team has 20 points to start the round and they have 1 bola on the top rung (equaling 23 points) they score zero and start the next round with 20 points.
- For younger players, add 1 point to the value of each rung, or allow them to use a toss line that is closer to the ladder
- Fling-backs (also called a springboard) happens when the bola balls launch back in the direction they were thrown and scores 1 point.
- Tight dangle – when the bola wraps tightly around the rung so that it does not have enough cord to wrap again – scores the rung value plus 1 bonus point.